Sunday, 21 April 2013

Food & DIY: Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie on a Handmade Cake Stand



The first time that I tried a lemon meringue tart was just a few months ago when my friends and I stumbled upon a little cafe in Siglap. De La Creme is known for its macaroons, which I ordered and of course loved, but the highlight for me was its lemon meringue tart. 

It was absolutely divine, I'm not exaggerating! The meringue was perfect and so was the lemon filling, not too sour. Unfortunately, it was my friend who ordered it so I had to stop myself from gobbling it up like the pig that I am (especially when it comes to desserts). Ever since then, I've been dying to try making a lemon meringue pie and now that it's the holidays for me... woopee! I also made this cake stand with a few simple steps and it's so easy that you'd want to make one for yourself too. 

Lemon Meringue Pie



Since it is my very first time baking this pie, I was doing a bit of research beforehand to make sure my pie was not going to be a complete fail. Not So Humble Pie was really helpful in explaining how the different elements of the lemon meringue pie worked. Unfortunately for me, beginners luck wasn't on my side today.. I baked the meringue for a tad too long, resulting in a crunchy shell. So better keep a constant eye on your meringue in the oven!

I used this recipe from Martha Stewart for her pie crust. I made a crust once and it turned out really dry and tasteless, but this recipe is so much better! Always trust the expert. Alternatively for non-piecrustlovers, you could use biscuits as a base following this recipe from a few cute boys at Sorted Food. For the lemon filling and meringue, I used this recipe. Somehow, any recipe that has the word "Grandma's" always wins me over. Plus, this one is really easy to follow! 

DIY Cake Stand

I've been eyeing this cake stand from Thomas Paul (sold at Soon Lee), but being a struggling undergrad, I couldn't bear to part with that much money. DIY blogs and Pinterest are my favourite places to search for inexpensive ways to make things, which inspired me to make this cake stand.

All I used were:
An almost flat plate
A small vase that I got from a thrift store
Spray Paint
Acrylic Paint
Lacquer
E6000 glue


I bought this plate from IKEA at $2.90 and spray painted it white before adding a design using acrylic paint. You could use any flat object, like a circular tray or the base of an old cake tin! If you're using a ceramic plate, decorate your plate using a Sharpie marker or acrylic paint, then bake it in the oven for 20 to 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius. 


Since I spray painted my plate, I used a lacquer to seal everything in. Then I stuck the plate onto a small white vase that I found at a thrift store for $3! E6000 is pretty strong, so I'd advise you to use this glue. And that's it, the cake stand is made. 

Hope you guys have had a good weekend :>

Shairah
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...